Economic Development

The Webster Groves/Shrewsbury/Rock Hill Area Chamber of Commerce serves, promotes, and helps advance the business interests of both its membership and the communities of Webster Groves, Shrewsbury and Rock Hill. 

Connect with them at  

Opening a new commercial enterprise in Rock Hill?

Welcome to the City of Rock Hill! 

Before opening for business, please make sure you have completed the following things: 

  1. Had a commercial occupancy inspection.
  2. Obtained a commercial occupancy permit.
  3. Had a fire inspection with the Rock Hill Fire Department (call Fire Chief Tim Kendrick at 314-941-3400 to set this up)
  4. Submitted a merchant or business license application to the City Clerk.
  5. Submitted an emergency contact form to the Rock Hill Police Department.  You can email this to [email protected] or drop it off with your application.

Are you a Business or a Merchant? 

If you fall into one of the following categories you are a business and should complete the application found here:  appraisers; bank and trust companies; barber or beauty shops; building and loan associations; collection agencies; contractors and excavators; draying, moving and furniture storage; insurance companies; loan companies; manufacturers' agents; office buildings; and real estate companies/agencies.

All other commercial enterprises fall under the category of Merchant/Manufacturer and should complete this application

Planning on selling alcohol?

If you are a merchant who will need a liquor license, in addition to all the steps listed above, please also complete this application, paying close attention to the background check requirements.  

Currently operating a commercial enterprise in Rock Hill?

Business, Merchant and Liquor licenses renew annually. 

While you don't need to do a commercial occupancy inspection every year, you do need to submit either a merchant license or a business license, and a liquor license, if applicable.  If you don't remember whether you are a business or a merchant, please see the information above in the Are you a Business or a Merchant? section. 

Business and Merchant licenses are valid from August 1 - July 31.  Renewals are due by July 31 in order to avoid late fees.

Liquor licenses are valid July 1 - June 30.  Liquor licenses must be reviewed and approved by the Board of Alderman prior to issuance.  Please submit renewal applications the first week of June in order to guarantee that your renewal will make it on an agenda for approval.  Incomplete applications can't be approved, so please read the instructions carefully.  

For further information regarding licensing, please contact the Administration Office at 314-968-1410.